August 5, 2022: China's missiles, Taiwan, Griner swap, Floods kill over 500 in Pakistan, Grain ships
Reuters, 05 Aug 2022
August 5, 2022: China fires missiles over Taiwan, Russia-U.S. Griner swap, flash floods kill over 500 in Pakistan, Grain ships
1. China's firing of missiles during military drills around Taiwan was an unjustified escalation, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said, as Beijing said it would impose sanctions on House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi for visiting the island.
2. Russia said it was ready to discuss a prisoner swap with the United States in private, a day after a Russian court jailed U.S. basketball star Brittney Griner for nine years for a drugs offence.
3. Flash floods caused by abnormally heavy monsoon rains killed at least 549 people in Pakistan over the past month, with remote communities in the impoverished southwestern province of Balochistan among the hardest hit, a government agency said.
4. U.S. Senator Kyrsten Sinema said in a statement night she has agreed to "move forward" on Democrats' climate, tax and healthcare legislation.
5. Three ships loaded with grain under a recently concluded deal have left Ukrainian ports, the Turkish defense ministry and Reuters witnesses said.
Reuters brings you the latest business, finance and breaking news video from around the globe. Our reputation for accuracy and impartiality is unparalleled.
Get the latest news on: http://reuters.com/
Follow Reuters on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/reuters/?hl=en